Art FUNdamentals Syllabus
Phone: 878-2434 ext. 1289
Phone: 878-2434 ext. 1296
This course will introduce a variety of techniques and art materials. It is intended to give the beginning artist a well-rounded art experience with an emphasis on using a sketchbook. Materials that we will be using include: pencil, color pencil, ink marker, watercolor paint and pencils, acrylic paint, plaster, clay, and glaze.
- Develop an understanding of the Elements and Principles of Art
- Develop an understanding of Art as a process
- Develop an understanding of basic Art vocabulary
- Learn to apply the Elements and Principles of Art
- Develop/Improve basic drawing skills
- Explore and create artwork in both two and three dimensions
- Explore different types of art media
- Explore different techniques of art making
- Improve problem-solving and creative thinking skills
- Introduction to the Elements and Principles of Art
- Observational Drawing
- Creative Drawing
- Drawing with a grid
- Three-Dimensional Design: Additive Ceramic (Clay) and Subtractive Plaster Sculptures
- Two-Dimensional Design: Pen/Marker and Watercolor Design
- Projects are graded on a 10-point scale.
(10=A+, 9.75-9.25 = A, 8.5-8.25 = B, 7.5-7.25 = C, 6.5-6.25 = D, 5.75 or less =F)
- A Critique Sheet (rubric) will be used by both teacher and student to evaluate each project.
- 5-minute drawings are graded on a 9-point scale.
- Check-in assignments are graded on a variable point scale, depending on the assignment. They are graded on their overall quality and completeness at the time they are due.
- Do Your Best
Your experience in this class will be what you make it. Abiding by the rules will lead to more freedom.
Tools & Equipment:
The following list of materials is required for class…please bring them in by:
Materials are listed in order of priority!
*Scissors *These items need to be brought in ASAP!!!
*2 Glue Sticks (you may need additional ones)
*Taboret – a container to hold all materials and tools
Art Shirt or Apron—SOME MATERIALS WE USE DO STAIN
Masking Tape (doesn’t have to be a full roll!)
2 plastic bags (grocery store size)
Black fine point felt tip marker (water based marker or ultra fine point sharpie, a permanent marker is not necessary)
Ruler (Metal or wood with metal is best – if you already have a plastic one bring that)
Safety glasses (optional – we provide safety glasses when carving plaster)
Being prepared for class with all tools & equipment is a graded requirement!
You will lose points until you bring them in. SO, bring in your materials by the due date!
- I make a limited number of copies. A replacement copy of any handout costs 25 cents!
Be responsible: REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE!
- More sketchbook information can be found on your Sketchbook handout.
- See your Art Class Expectations handout for more information about art room procedures.